Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting engages and empowers the public through investigative journalism and groundbreaking storytelling that sparks action, improves lives and protects our democracy. The Reveal website, public radio program, podcast and social media platforms are where we publish our multiplatform work. We are regularly recognized for our excellence, creativity and impact.
We’re looking for an associate producer to become an integral member of our production and editorial team. You should be adept at working in ProTools and running an audio board. You will engineer tracking sessions, ISDN sessions, and phone calls. You will pull audio selects from voice-over recordings and assist producers in laying up ProTools sessions. You will also be responsible for coordinating delivery of audio sessions and assets from producers to the engineering team.You will serve as the primary back-up to our engineers, and be trained to fill in for the production manager as needed.
The associate producer will work with our editorial, engagement and development teams to produce various audio promos and to track advertising spots. There is a strong preference for a candidate with experience producing pledge drive/fundraising spots.
The associate producer will have the opportunity to produce interviews with our host and assist on the production of stories with reporters and producers in our newsroom, and with outside contributors to create groundbreaking, narrative, investigative stories. This will include researching stories, pre-interviewing potential guests and producing interview segments.
This position is full-time with one weekend shift required each week, and is based in Emeryville, California. While our offices are currently closed to most staff due to COVID-19, the associate producer may on occasion utilize the studio, with our host and a few other staff, employing CIR’s COVID prevention plan.
As a member of Reveal’s Radio Team, you’ll be part of one of the nation’s largest dedicated platforms for investigative journalism, now airing on more than 560 public radio stations and reaching millions of listeners.
Reveal develops stories that reflect the diversity of this country; high cultural competency in your editorial work and with colleagues in the workplace is a must for this position. This position reports to one of our senior radio editors.
- Required schedule: Monday – Thursday plus one weekend shift (Saturday or Sunday)
- Run studio sessions, including voice-over tracking, remote (phone, ISDN, IP-Codec, Zoom and other remote software) and in-studio interviews.
- Assist with the mixing of stories from initial rough mixes through the final mix.
- Serve as the primary back-up engineer to fill in for engineers when they are out of the office.
- Produce spots for our podcast, including cross promotions with other podcasts, engagement call-outs to our listeners, weekly and generic show promos and development spots for fundraising campaigns.
- Track our inventory of podcast and broadcast spots and serve as primary contact for scheduling spots.
- Work with Reveal’s host on interviews and narrative segments.
- Structure, write and fact check scripts.
- Contribute to the unique voice, style and spirit of Reveal by participating in listening and pitch sessions and team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Experience editing and mixing audio, preferably in ProTools.
- At least three years of experience in radio or podcasting production.
- Experience setting up and managing a field production, and recording high quality audio.
- Experience writing for radio, and using sound to bring characters and scenes to life.
- Love collaboration and be prepared to do a lot of it, both inside Reveal and with our editorial partners.
- Skilled in giving thoughtful, constructive feedback.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the highest journalistic standards under deadline pressure.
Our staff is currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This position is based in Emeryville, CA. Candidates who are based in the San Francisco Bay Area will be able to work on-site when it is safe for our office to reopen. This position may work on-site while our office is closed using safety protocols.
This position is a salaried, full-time position with benefits. Reveal offers a generous compensation package that currently includes:
- 100% coverage of health, dental and vision insurance for employees, 50% for dependents
- Retirement benefits, including matching employer contribution
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly phone and internet reimbursement
- 15 paid vacation days, and 11 paid holidays
- Annual office closure between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- Opportunity for sabbatical leave
Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to diversify our workforce. In addition to valuing diverse life experiences and backgrounds, we look for people with relentlessness, camaraderie and a drive to make a difference.
Please use this link to apply