We’re looking for a creative and collaborative data editor to lead Reveal’s data journalism efforts.
Our ideal applicants have five or more years of experience in data journalism, including statistical analysis and reporting stories from data, and some experience in programming. For this position, which will report to the lead investigative editor, we’re seeking candidates who set rigorous standards; are passionate about editing, training, sponsorship and mentorship; and are energized by managing a team of experienced and dedicated data reporters. As an investigative newsroom, we prize candidates with a robust portfolio of investigative projects and are familiar with the particular demands of this reporting, including a thorough grounding in public records resources.
The work of our data team is in high demand. The team reports its own stories and supports other journalists in our newsroom and many of the partners with whom we work. You should be able to skillfully prioritize projects and nimbly manage collaborations that involve a host of internal and external stakeholders. You should have an exhaustive knowledge of datasets reporters can use to advance their stories, and expert instincts for where data relevant to any story might be found or compiled. You should know how to translate a numbers-laden, data-rich investigation into a riveting story. And you should have a strong grasp of methodological and statistical pitfalls and possibilities.
While the focus of this role is managerial, our data projects and news apps involve a number of technical elements, and some proficiency in the following would be an asset to this work:
- Statistics and statistical analysis tools, including R
- SQL, Excel, Python
- Expertise in FOIA, PACER, and other public records resources
- Server management, especially AWS
- Database management, especially Postgres
- Web development, especially news applications and data visualization
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Managing and editing a team of data journalists
- Being a strategic leader within the organization, helping support organizational initiatives and decision making
- Helping other journalists on and off the team scope and conceptualize each story
- Ensuring that Reveal tells stories in audio, text video and multimedia that uphold the most rigorous quantitative standards and most innovative statistical and technical approaches
- Reviewing data and analyses for weaknesses that could undermine the stories they drive
- Ensuring that Reveal’s coverage reflects the experiences of all people, especially people historically underrepresented and misrepresented in mass media
- Training other journalists to advance their skills in data journalism and programming
- Identifying the technological and statistical resources and needs that partner newsrooms are bringing to the table
- Always learning, staying up-to-date, pushing us forward
- Adhering to, and helping to shape, Reveal’s design standards
- Representing the newsroom internally and externally
You will interact daily with award-winning journalists in a newsroom that supports innovation, collaboration, experimentation and evaluation.
Our newsroom is successful because of the sum of its parts – we recognize that no one person will be equally strong in every area and that some candidates will bring other strengths or experiences that we haven’t described here. If you are passionate about our work and have a vision to share with us, please apply. We will carefully consider every serious applicant.
This position is full time, based in Emeryville, CA. Please use this link to apply with your resume, cover letter and salary requirements. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to the expected volume of resumes, we will contact only those applicants with whom we would like to speak further.
CIR is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to diversify our workforce.