Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting engages and empowers the public through investigative journalism and groundbreaking storytelling that sparks action, improves lives and protects our democracy. Our public radio program and podcast reaches millions of people a week across more than 500 stations nationwide, our video team produces documentaries with the likes of Netflix and cable television channels, and we team up with partners across the country to distribute our long-form stories in digital and print. We are regularly recognized for our excellence, creativity and impact.
We are looking for an Editorial Assistant to become an integral member of our newsroom. This position will work closely with editorial leaders to support cross-platform collaboration across teams and make the newsroom more efficient. You will help manage projects, oversee and enforce deadlines and editorial calendaring, and implement systems to streamline our editorial operations. You will be involved in newsroom wide projects and play an important role in helping us achieve our journalistic goals. This position is ideal for early career journalists who are excited to dive in and learn in a multi-platform newsroom, but we are open to those without journalism experience who have a background in project management.
Reveal develops stories that reflect the diversity of this country; high cultural competency in your editorial work and with colleagues in the workplace is a must for this position. This position reports to the Editor in Chief.
- Cross Platform Projects: Partner with editors to manage the editorial calendar to facilitate cross-platform story development, set and maintain deadlines for stories, and maintain our project management system, AirTable.
- Partnerships: Work closely with editors to facilitate partnerships, including acting as point-person for some external relationships, planning logistics, tracking deliverables and monitoring timelines.
- Impact + Comms: Help ensure our work has the broadest possible reach and impact by working with reporting teams by implementing impact and communication strategies for our stories, collecting and inputting impact data into our Impact Tracker tool, and collecting and disseminating analytics (website and podcast data) and feedback on projects.
- Newsroom Web Production: Assist the audience team with web, newsletter and social production as needed, including using our CMS, Mailchimp and social platforms.
- Newsroom Logistics: Support travel and meeting logistics, oversee invoices and contracts with freelancers and partners, help with logistics for our fellowship program, and assist with fact checking and research as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Journalism experience is a plus, but we are open to individuals with a wide range of skills, particularly those with experience in project management.
- High level of attention to detail and excellent communications skills.
- Ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities.
- Experience working in WordPress or other CMS a plus
- Skilled in creating and maintaining systems to assist with newsroom management.
- Ability to maintain the highest journalistic standards under deadline pressure.
- You should love collaboration and be prepared to do a lot of it, both inside Reveal and with our editorial partners.
We are based in the San Francisco Bay Area. We will consider remote and local candidates for this position. Candidates who are based in the San Francisco Bay Area will be able to work on-site at our office part-time as we reopen this summer. This is an hourly ($31-$35/hour depending on experience), full-time position with benefits. Reveal offers a generous compensation package that currently includes:
- 100% coverage of health, dental and vision insurance for employees, 50% for dependents.
- Retirement benefits, including employer matching contributions.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Monthly phone and internet reimbursement.
- 15 paid vacation days, and 11 paid holidays.
- Annual office closure between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- Opportunity for sabbatical leave.
Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to diversify our workforce. In addition to valuing diverse life experiences and backgrounds, we look for people with relentlessness, camaraderie and a drive to make a difference. We recognize that candidates may not meet all the criteria outlined, but if you are passionate about our work and have a vision to share with us, please apply. We will carefully consider every serious applicant.
We are no longer accepting applications at this time.