Reveal from the Center for Investigative Reporting engages and empowers the public through investigative journalism and groundbreaking storytelling that sparks action, improves lives, and protects our democracy. The Reveal website, public radio program, podcast and social media platforms are where we publish our multiplatform work. We are regularly recognized for our excellence, creativity, and impact.
We are looking for an editor with expertise in deep story development and narrative storytelling and a passion for making socially significant work. The editor will oversee a team of investigative reporters, lead major investigations with digital, audio, and video storytelling potential, and help strengthen investigative punch and narrative writing across the newsroom. This position reports to CIR’s executive editor.
- Identify and develop investigative projects with the potential to have impact on the urgent issues of our time.
- Work closely with reporters to develop their ideas and reporting plans.
- Guide reporters through roadblocks as they pursue documents, data, and human sources to produce original findings.
- Work with reporters to identify characters and scenes that will allow them to produce rich stories and great tape.
- Work with reporters to produce well-crafted written narratives that meet high editorial standards.
- Work with reporters, fact checkers and staff counsel to thoroughly vet findings.
- Support audio and video script development for cross-platform investigations.
- Navigate editorial and distribution partnerships with print and digital news outlets to reach strategic audiences.
- Strategize with Reveal’s audience team to maximize the reach and impact of stories.
- Contribute to the unique voice, style and spirit of Reveal by participating in team story planning and overall story development.
- Contribute to a creative, welcoming workplace culture that focuses on impact and highlights innovative approaches to storytelling.
- Cultivate a culture of respect and teamwork within the organization, and an ethic of seeking out diverse sources and reporting with accuracy, fairness, humanity and compassion.
- Mentor emerging journalists on the team.
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a narrative editor, investigative editor or senior investigative reporter.
- Proven ability to write or edit rich, fluid, well-structured narratives.
- Experience with investigative reporting methods, including obtaining and interpreting primary documents and data, and source cultivation.
- Competitive editorial drive that thrives on originality, relevance and compelling storytelling.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the highest journalistic standards under deadline pressure.
- Understanding of how to work productively with editorial collaborators.
- Passion for being a team player and building a new model for investigative storytelling.
- Multiple languages and audio or video storytelling experience a plus.
Our organization has a strong commitment to diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and will develop a diverse candidate pool for this position. We expect candidates to share our vision for bringing new journalistic voices to the national stage and reporting stories from underrepresented communities.
This describes everything we are looking for. Our newsroom is successful because of the sum of its parts – we recognize that no one person will be equally strong in every area and that some candidates will bring other strengths or experiences that we haven’t described here. If you are passionate about our work and have a vision to share with us, please apply. We will carefully consider every serious applicant.
This position is full time, based in Emeryville, California, and offers competitive wages and benefits. A remote position may be a possibility for the right candidate.
Please use this link to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. For best consideration, materials should be submitted by August 28.