The Center for Investigative Reporting is the oldest investigative nonprofit newsroom in the United States. It empowers the public through investigative journalism and groundbreaking storytelling that sparks action, improves lives and protects our democracy. Reveal – our website, public radio program, podcast and social media platform – is where we publish our multiplatform work.
CIR is looking for a full-time First Amendment fellow to join our legal department. This one-year paid position will allow the fellow the chance to work closely, as an associate, with in-house counsel.
Responsibilities will include working alongside CIR’s general counsel to assist with:
- Reviewing articles, podcasts and documentaries prior to publication.
- Researching intellectual property matters.
- Researching newsgathering questions.
- Helping reporters file and write appeal letters for public records requests.
- Assisting with filing and litigating Freedom of Information Act requests and court-access cases and defending libel suits and other litigation matters.
- Reviewing and editing amicus briefs.
The candidate will have:
- 1-3 years of experience. We also would welcome a 2019 law school graduate.
- Admission to California or District of Columbia bar by January 2020.
- An outstanding academic record with excellent research and writing skills.
- An exceptional ability to work with staff.
- A demonstrated deep interest in media law and the First Amendment.
- A great sense of humor and collegial attitude.
- The ability to multitask and work under deadline pressure.
This full-time fellowship will begin in summer 2019 and will be based out of CIR’s office in Emeryville, California. Preference will be given to students with public interest funding. It is designed to be both a learning and work experience for a new lawyer excited about media law and the First Amendment. Please note that the position is not budgeted to lead to employment after one year. CIR offers competitive wages and benefits. CIR is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to diversify its workforce.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter and one letter of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Dec. 1, 2018.