We are looking for reporters to do ambitious stories on the most pressing issues facing the world today.
We want to work with journalists who:
- Seek to uncover secrets.
- Hold the powerful accountable.
- Deeply understand the communities they report in.
- Are great teammates and collaborators.
- Bring a wide variety of life experiences to our team.
At Reveal, investigative reporters partner across our newsroom to lead major investigations with digital, audio and video storytelling potential, combing through documents and cultivating human sources to tell intriguing, high-impact investigative stories. We are especially interested in reporters who have experience in or a passion for reporting on: threats to democracy in the U.S., climate change, gender and the rights of women, and policing. Reporters on our Projects Team typically have a background in writing for the internet and print publications, but we highly value experience across platforms and are open to reporters who primarily have investigative experience in audio and video.
- Identify, pitch and lead investigative projects with potential for major social impact.
- Pursue documents, data and human sources to produce original, high-impact findings.
- Identify diverse sources, vivid scenes and intriguing plots that produce great stories across mediums.
- Work with Reveal editors and producers to craft strong narrative storytelling and meet high editorial standards.
- Contribute to the unique identity, voice and spirit of Reveal by actively participating in team story planning and reporting.
- Strategize with Reveal’s digital and engagement teams to maximize the reach and impact of stories.
- Contribute to a creative, welcoming workplace.
- Support and mentor reporting efforts across the newsroom.
We also highly value video and audio skills, as well as the ability to speak different languages.
Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting engages and empowers the public through investigative journalism and groundbreaking storytelling that sparks action, improves lives and protects our democracy. Our public radio program and podcast reaches millions of people a week across more than 500 stations nationwide, our video team produces documentaries with the likes of Netflix and cable television channels, and we team up with partners across the country to distribute our long-form stories in digital and print. We are regularly recognized for our excellence, creativity and impact.
We are based in the San Francisco Bay Area. We will consider remote and local candidates for this position. Candidates who are based in the San Francisco Bay Area will be able to work on-site at our office as we reopen this summer. This position is a salaried, full-time position with benefits. Reveal offers a generous compensation package.
We are open to candidates who could fit into a range of positions on our Projects Team. The salary range for this role is $75,000 to $120,000, depending on skills and experience. This is a salaried, full-time position with benefits. Reveal offers a generous compensation package that currently includes:
- 100% coverage of health, dental and vision insurance for employees, 50% for dependents.
- Retirement benefits, including employer matching contribution.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Monthly phone and internet reimbursement.
- 15 paid vacation days, and 11 paid holidays.
- Annual office closure between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- Opportunity for sabbatical leave.
Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to diversify our workforce. In addition to valuing diverse life experiences and backgrounds, we look for people with relentlessness, camaraderie and a drive to make a difference. We recognize that candidates may not meet all the criteria outlined, but if you are passionate about our work and have a vision to share with us, please apply. We will carefully consider every serious applicant.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.