Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting engages and empowers the public through investigative journalism and groundbreaking storytelling that sparks action, improves lives and protects our democracy. The Reveal website, public radio program, podcast and social media platforms are where we publish our multiplatform work. We are regularly recognized for our excellence, creativity and impact.
We’re looking for a producer to join our audio team to work with reporters in our newsroom and outside contributors to create groundbreaking, narrative, investigative audio stories. Our focus is on accountability journalism. We strive to expose wrongdoing, hold the powerful accountable and create meaningful impact through imaginative storytelling. As a member of Reveal, you’ll be part of one of the nation’s largest dedicated platforms for investigative journalism, now airing on more than 560 public radio stations and through podcast platforms.
This position is focused exclusively on producing, where you will get the chance to hone your production skills by working closely with other producers, reporters and our host on both long form narrative stories and shorter interview segments. This is the perfect opportunity for someone fairly early in their career who can jump right into the position, but still is looking for lots of room for growth.
Reveal develops stories that reflect the diversity of this country; high cultural competency in your editorial work and with colleagues in the workplace is a must for this position. This position reports to one of our senior radio editors. Spanish language skills are a plus.
- Working with Reveal reporters and outside partners to produce narrative investigative stories.
- Working with Reveal’s host on interviews and narrative segments.
- Creating production plans, recording in-person and remote interviews.
- Structuring, writing and fact checking scripts.
- Editing and mixing audio in ProTools.
- Contributing to the unique voice, style and spirit of Reveal by participating in listening and pitch sessions and team meetings.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Demonstrated experience producing unique, impactful stories on topics that people care about.
- At least three years of experience in radio or podcasting production.
- Preference will be given to candidates with Spanish language skills.
- Ability to identify characters, scenes and questions that produce great audio stories.
- Experience setting up and managing a field production, and recording high quality audio.
- Experience writing for radio, and using sound to bring characters and scenes to life.
- Mastery of audio editing software, preferably, ProTools.
- Love collaboration and be prepared to do a lot of it, both inside Reveal and with our editorial partners.
- Skilled in giving thoughtful, constructive feedback.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the highest journalistic standards under deadline pressure.
Our staff is currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our office is based in Emeryville, CA. We will consider remote and local candidates for this position. Candidates who are based in the San Francisco Bay Area will be able to work on-site when it is safe for our office to reopen.
This is a Producer II position. The salary range for this role is $75,000 to $90,000. This position is a salaried, full-time position with benefits. Reveal offers a generous compensation package that currently includes:
- 100% coverage of health, dental and vision insurance for employees, 50% for dependents.
- Retirement benefits, including employer matching contribution.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Monthly phone and internet reimbursement.
- 15 paid vacation days, and 11 paid holidays.
- Annual office closure between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- Opportunity for sabbatical leave.
Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to diversify our workforce. In addition to valuing diverse life experiences and backgrounds, we look for people with relentlessness, camaraderie and a drive to make a difference. We recognize that candidates may not meet all the criteria outlined, but if you are passionate about our work and have a vision to share with us, please apply. We will carefully consider every serious applicant.
Please use this link to apply with your resume and a cover letter that tells us about your experience as well as your approach to working with reporters and editors.