Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting engages and empowers the public through investigative journalism and groundbreaking storytelling that sparks action, improves lives and protects our democracy. The Reveal website, public radio program, podcast and social media platforms are where we publish our multiplatform work. We are regularly recognized for our excellence, creativity and impact.
Reveal is looking for short-term, on-call fact checkers to handle single editorial projects on an as-needed basis. You will work with Reveal’s Associate Editor for Research and Copy, and other editors as needed, to vet our complex investigations and serve as a trusted, reliable gatekeeper. These investigations – which usually are between 3,000 and 6,000 words long – are published on our website, revealnews.org, and may also be co-published with other media partners.
- Edit articles for grammar, spelling, punctuation and Associated Press/Reveal house style.
- Fact check articles using primary sources provided by reporters and secondary sources via online research, such as news reports and publicly available government reports.
- Work with editors and reporters when questions arise about accuracy, fairness and ethical concerns.
- Flag any potential legal concerns for our general counsel to review.
- Contribute headline ideas for articles.
- Write captions and alt text for images accompanying articles.
- Communicate respectfully and inclusively in a diverse environment.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of one year of experience as a copy editor or fact checker.
- Strong news judgment.
- Familiarity with journalism ethics and libel law.
- Familiarity with the Associated Press stylebook.
- Commitment to excellence in journalism and sourcing standards.
- Previous experience working with investigative content is a plus.
- Experience with SEO principles is a plus.
Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to diversify our workforce. In addition to valuing diverse life experiences and backgrounds, we look for people with relentlessness, camaraderie and a drive to make a difference. We recognize that candidates may not meet all the criteria outlined, but if you are passionate about our work and have a vision to share with us, please apply. We will carefully consider every serious applicant.
This is a short-term position with work on an as-needed basis that can be conducted remotely.
Please use this link to apply.