Effective Date: February 6, 2018
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may collect the following kinds of information when you use the Services:
Information you provide directly to us. For certain activities, such as when you subscribe to our newsletter, respond to surveys, submit a donation, engage with interactive features on the Services, or contact us directly, we may ask you to provide some of the following types of information:
- Contact information, such as your name, email address, telephone number, and address;
- Demographic information, such as age, city, state, zip code, and similar survey data;
- Payment information, where needed to complete a transaction;
- Other types of information you share with us, as disclosed to you at the time we collect that information.
Information we collect automatically. Some information we collect automatically when you use our Services, including your Internet protocol (IP) address and other device identifiers that are automatically assigned to your computer or device when you access the Internet, browser type, operating system, Internet service provider, pages that you visit before and after using our website, the date and time of your visit, information about the links you click and pages you view within our website, and other standard server log information. CIR also collects information about listener interactions with CIR podcasts and other media files.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION
We generally use the information we collect from you to:
- Provide, improve and develop our content and Services;
- Send newsletters, news updates, personalized content, opportunities to support CIR, and other information you might be interested in;
- Analyze the use of our Services and user data to understand and improve our Services;
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information.
We want you to understand when and with whom we may share the information we collect:
- Authorized third-party vendors and service providers. We share your information with third-party vendors and service providers that help us with specialized services, including email deployment, processing and fulfillment of credit card transactions, collection and processing of survey responses, and website analytics and data processing.
- Partners. We may share your information with partner news organizations. For example, we may share your information with local public radio stations when you respond to our surveys in order to assist with our news gathering.
- Business transfers. We may share your information in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as an acquisition, a merger, consolidation, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- With your consent. We may share information for any other purposes to which you consent.
If you choose to engage in public activities on the Services, you should be aware that any information you share there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these areas. You should use caution in disclosing personal information while participating in these areas. We are not responsible for the information you choose to submit in these public areas.
Some of our Services may contain links to content maintained by third parties that we do not control. We may allow third parties to place and read their own cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies to collect information automatically through our Services. If you access third-party services, such as Facebook, Google, or Twitter, through the Services—e.g., to share a story—these third-party services may be able to collect information about you, including information about your activity on the Services. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these third parties, and we recommend that you visit the privacy policies of each website that you visit. We use Google Analytics to aggregate and analyze data about your use of our Services. To opt out, click here. To learn more about how Google collects and processes data, click here.
Emails. We may periodically contact you with offers and information about our Services or our affiliates, including in connection with your accounts, online surveys, legal notices, news stories, and other important information. You may opt out of receiving commercial email messages from us by following the instructions contained in those email messages.
Cookies and Similar Technologies. You may be able to refuse or disable cookies by adjusting your web browser settings. Because each web browser is different, please consult the instructions provided by your web browser (typically in the “help” section). If you choose to refuse, disable, or delete these technologies, some of our Services’ functionality may no longer be available to you.
Do-Not-Track. Our Services do not recognize or respond to “Do Not Track” signals.
HOW WE SECURE INFORMATION
We use reasonable measures to help protect information that we possess. You should understand that no data storage system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure. Please note that information collected by third parties may not have the same security protections as information you submit to us, and we are not responsible for protecting the security of such information.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?